Change of Name

If you wish to change your forename or surname in Scotland, you can do so at any time, so long as your intention is not to deceive or defraud.

The process is entirely legal and you can use your new name for all purposes, however you will be required to present evidence of your name change for most official purposes.

A person may wish to change their name as they feel another may suit them better. However, situations for effecting a name change usually depend on a change of circumstances and can include the following:

  • Marriage or Civil Partnership
  • Divorce or Dissolution of a Civil Partnership
  • Changing a Child’s Name

Munro & Noble’s Family Team can help provide information and advice on changing your name and how to initiate formal proceedings.

Scroll to Top