English and Welsh Conveyancing Complaints procedure

How to complain about a solicitor acting on an English or Welsh Conveyancing Matter?

The follow is only applicable to legal advice given in the jurisdiction of England & Wales, for which Munro & Noble is regulated by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority, Registration Number: 398218

Munro & Noble recognises that matters do not always go as smoothly as either our clients would like, or indeed the firm would like. Therefore, it is really important that you raise a concern as soon as you feel that you are not entirely satisfied with the progression of your matter.

NOTE: If your concern is that the solicitor acting for you has given you negligent advice you must consult another solicitor to discuss pursuing a compensation claim. Munro & Noble, like every solicitor firm is required to have insurance to cover a potential compensation claim.

How to complain about a solicitor?

Step 1:

Please contact the solicitor acting for you and notify them that you have a concern. By expressing your concern, it may be that the matter can be readily resolved.

A concern and /or complaint can be made either verbally or in writing. However, to prevent any ambiguity or further confusion, it is requested that you put your complaint in writing.

Step 2: Writing your complaint letter

  • Raise your complaint as soon as you become aware of an issue
  • Be conscience about your complaint and note the resolution you seek
  • Allow a maximum of eight weeks for their resolution

Your solicitor will not charge you for using the complaints service. However, if your complaint is regarding your account and it goes to court to be assessed, you might need to pay court fees.

Step 3: Legal Ombudsman

If you have submitted a complaint to your solicitor about their poor service or about your bill, you must allow them time to respond to the complaint. If they have not responded within eight weeks, or if you are not satisfied with the resolution, you should contact the Legal Ombudsman

You must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint, and
  • No more than six years from the date of act/omission; or
  • No more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

The Legal Ombudsman is open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Contact details are:

Telephone: 0300 555 0333 From overseas: +44 121 245 3050 By Mail: Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ Website: www.legalombusdman.org.uk Email: enquiries@legalombudsman.org.uk  

If your complaint is not about poor service or your bill, you should direct your complaint through the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Step 4: The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)

The Solicitors Regulation Authority is the Law Society’s regulatory body in England and Wales. Serious complaints are referred to the SRA, and they can suspend solicitors, levy fines, and in severe cases, the solicitor can be struck off.

SRA’s Principles: The SRA has ten mandatory principles for solicitors. They must:

  1. Act with the utmost integrity
  2. Uphold the proper administration of justice and the rule of law
  3. Remain independent without compromise
  4. Act in the client’s best interests
  5. Ensure clients receive correct service standard
  6. Maintain public trust in themselves and the legal profession in general
  7. Fulfil regulatory and legal obligations, working with ombudsmen and regulators in a co-operative, timely, and open manner
  8. Ensure there are sound risk and financial management principles in how they operate in terms of their role and business
  9. Work in a way that ensures equal opportunities are available for all and in respecting diversity
  10. Protect client’s assets and money

Raising a complaint with the SRA:

The SRA primarily deals with complaints and issues surround the conduct and behaviour of a solicitor. They can act when a solicitor:

  • Tells lies
  • Steals from you
  • Shuts down without telling you
  • Breaks SRA rules

The SRA’s report form can be found on their website: https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor/

When reporting, please:

  • Set out your concerns clearly
  • Identify individuals you consider responsible
  • Attach any evidence you have in support

You can contact the SRA: 398218

Telephone: 0370 606 2555   By Mail: Solicitors Regulation Authority, The Cube, 199 Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RN Website: www.sra.org.uk Email: contactcentre@sra.org.uk  

Munro and Noble SRA number 398218